Friday, September 14, 2007

A (partial) season in review.

So, I'm going to go ahead and borrow a brilliant idea from Bryan and recap my season in pictures. Specifically, pictures blatantly stolen from Dan Farnham and the Elkhorn Valley Cycling Club website. Here goes:

The season started off very well with the NE state time trial championships. Matt Landen and Marco talked me into racing it the night before, in spite of the fact that I had never actually ridden a time trial, nor did I have TT bars. But there I was, standing in a chilly parking lot in Norfolk, Nebraska, bolting on Lando's Profile T2+ bars about 20 minutes before the start, and borrowing a kit from Spence because I didn't have one. I was so nervous/excited waiting for the start that I could barely get my feet in the pedals, which was a little embarrassing. But I ended up doing well and looking good doing it:



I didn't do too shabby, finishing the 40k TT in 1:10 or something.
It was enough to put me in second, behind this guy, Dr. Dan Shuldt:

His bike cost about 3 times what mine did, so I don't mind losing to him so much.


Next up: Beatrice, for the Monumental Memorial Cycling Weekend. It sure was monumental for me, but for the wrong reasons. Started out well, but hooked bars with some dude going up the hill on lap 2 and ended up thrown into the ditch at the side of the road. One destroyed right shifter and one torn quadricep later, I was driving home with a few ice packs on the thigh. A before and after shot:

Before
After


So I took a week off before getting back on the bike at the Norfolk Classic Omnium. This one ended a little better: I got third in the TT, behind Bryan and wonderkid Jerry Smith from Brookings. Took first in the sprint finish in the road race, ahead of Jerry and some old Masters guy in our break. Bryan watched my ass in the crit and led me out beautifully so I could outsprint Jerry once more, and I took the overall in the 5s. My first taste of victory, and I was addicted.


Unfortunately, I wouldn't be tasting a lot more of that anytime soon.

Took fifth in the Kansas state RR championships, which was disappointing, because that race was mine to lose. And lose it I did, rather spectacularly: I forgot my own front wheel, I didn't eat, I raced stupid - but I learned from it.

But then I crashed, and I think it looked something like this. At least I hope it did, because Marco Velo over there wiping out on the Kemmelburg looks pretty badass. Anyway, I've just gotten back on the bike now, at the time of year when everyone else is winding down. Oh well, I'll have to kick some serious ass next year. Sorry for the absurdly long post, but I think it's worth it.

4 comments:

bryan said...

in that picture with you and jerry, I think about about a half-block back. You guys went fast.

Next year, we make people hurt.

Sean said...

I broke 35 for sure.

And yes, next year we will tear up the 4s. Let's go to Dead Dog. And Cascade. And Joe Martin.

bryan said...

well, maybe Joe Martin. Maybe Dead Dog. Probably not Cascade. I'm not allowed out of town without a chaperone.

Sean said...

Oh c'mon, I can be your chaperone. I'm responsible.

Mostly.