Tuesday, May 6, 2008


I was making this smile/grimace face all day today.

I headed out from my house, got in a good warmup on the smaller climbs around my neighborhood, then headed off down the bike path toward Fort. I planned on doing some repeats around Raven Oaks, then calling it quits because I'm doing the Bike Masters Wednesday night.

I overdid it.

I did Raven Oaks, hit that big monster hill, then went back up the "scenic route," which is almost as hard. Screaming descent though, and much more fun than the white-knuckle descent down the bigger hill. I thought about going home after a few more climbs. I decided not to, and instead headed off to do Hummel Park a few times. I did two trips up each side - but after I took the summit the last time at a blistering 9 mph pace, I didn't want to do that anymore. So I lit out yonder to Fort Calhoun.

While I enjoyed the tailwind on the way out, I didn't realize how punishing it would be on the way back. I took the Omaha Trace over to 72nd, then took 60th back to Raven Oaks and headed home. All the way back on the Trace, I averaged a heady 14/15 mph. It was miserable. On the other hand, I feel like it was a good day. I drank a lot, A LOT, and I actually ate some solid food for once. It definitely helped. On the other hand, I am wiped out. And I'm going to scout the possible Ralston crit course tomorrow morning with my dad, if anyone wants to go. Then the Wednesday night ride... my high-volume week is going well.

Let's hope it pays off the way I want it to.

3 comments:

brady said...

And the massive milage catch-up begins. Look out, Bryan. Now that you're back, I'm looking forward to leaving on group rides from the 'hood together. Can't make it this tonight, but sometime soon.

bryan said...

I'm on the lookout. But while one of Sean's goals is beating me, one of mine is not letting him do it.

Gonna be a fun summer.

Sean said...

Bring on the crits and sprint finishes!