Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wednesday night ride

Went on the Wednesday night last night. It was completely controlled, beginning to end, by Kaos guys. On the way out, Aaron the Mountain Biker just took a flyer after the warmup and we never saw him again. That kid is stupid fast.

So we put together a little chase group and set out after him. It was Dave Rogers, Matt Farnam, Joe Savoie, and me. Our pace was in the 30s until we started into the wind, when it dropped to a measly 27. Got a great rotation going, everybody was looking strong and smooth. Still, we never caught Aaron, and there he was at the turnaround, waiting for us.

On the way back, we worked with the scant tailwind and tried to keep most of the group together. Scott Tarry joined in the fun, as did another dude from Elkhorn Valley I have seen everywhere but never met. I almost answered Dave's attack on the Wall, and stuck with him until the very top. I'm still not very good at carrying my momentum over the top - gotta work on that this year.

All in all, a great ride. I was really excited to be back with the group, and even more excited that I stuck with Dave and Matt all the way to the turnaround. Dave said I was looking good, too. Which just means I'm good at hiding it when I'm in pain. I guess that's good.

Quick aside: As I was typing this, I found a picture of Tom Zirbel's bike from his Gila crash.

Damn.

Also, Bike Masters is doing a double metric century to Harlan, IA on Sunday. I'm doing it. Anybody else want to? I'm looking at you, Mr. Munson.

2 comments:

munsoned said...

Hey, didn't you read my post? I'm doing a half marathon on the bike that day. Saturday morning I'll be doing overtime work at the hospital and Sunday, I'll be riding like 5 mph with a buncha crazy runners. This weekend's going to be awesome!

Sean said...

Yeah, I read your post right after I challenged you to a 125 mile race. Much to my chagrin.